Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The War Against Child Slavery

A Big thing in my life at the moment is the war against child slavery and child trafficking. The thing that first helped enlist me to do stuff with my life, and with my teen years was a very good book (which I recommend to all teens around the world, and also to adults) Called Do Hard Things written by Alex and Brett Harris. The book is written by teens and is for teens. It is quote: A teenage Rebelution against low expectation'. It focuses on the fact that we teens waste some of the most important years of our lives and that we should get out there and do stuff in the world. One bible verse that comes to mind is 1 Timothy 4:12 - 'Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.' The Authors are Christians and once again, all I can do is to recommend that you read it. It changed my life...more or less.


Anyway. So after reading this book, I was feeling very inspired to find something that I could do. something that would be relatively easy and wouldn't cost much. So. I went on the website (which I also recommend to everyone) www.therebelution.com. From there, after looking at a few pages I joined the forums, which has limited access and before you are allowed in you have to fill out a few questions, so that they know that you are a Christian: The forums are meant to be a Christian environment where we can go and seek help and encourage each other (I recommend the prayer room, if you decide to join the forum). Soon after doing this, I was accepted and I began looking around. The main thing that caught my interest was the projects forum. From there, after scrolling through a few projects, I found what I was looking for. Bands To Break Bonds. At first I only offered to pray and changed my email signature to have the website (www.bandstobreakbonds.org), but then I decided that I could sell wristbands as well. It turns out that I was the first client for bands to break bonds in Australia, and since then God has blessed me heaps by allowing HEAPS of people i know to buy wristbands and to encourage me. For example, One friend, Jess, bought ALL the types of wristbands that there were. 


So basically, Bands to Break Bonds is a non profit organisation, run by a teenager. She is seeking to help the fight against child slavery by selling wristbands, at $3 each. All the profit (usually about half the money of the bands) goes to either Rapha House, or the Home Foundation, both of whom build houses or orphanages for freed, or rescued child slaves. They educate the children giving them better opportunities in later life and providing for their needs. I think they also seek to teach them about God.


Anyway: the whole point of that essay is that if you are at all possible, in any way, to do anything with your teen years then do it. An easy thing you can do is email me (nlm2570@hotmail.com) and I can order a (or a few) wristband(s) for you. I charge $3.50, because I have to pay for postage from America, and make up for losing money with the exchange rate. Or, you could go to the website, www.bandstobreakbonds.org and buy one yourself. You could do what I have done and buy them and re-sell them to friends and family, or just to randoms in your area (but make sure they aren't too random...), You could go to www.therebelution.com and learn about doing hard things, or you could go in search of another non-profit organisation that you can volunteer with or support. There are so many options: in fact there are almost unlimited options. DON'T waste your life, Do Something Worth While. Do it now, don't wait: the longer you wait the less likely you will do anything (I almost learnt that the hard way)


But most importantly, do something that will honour God and glorify him. Philippians 4:6: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Pray about everything, and don't do anything until you are sure that it is what God wants you to do. He is in control of all things, don't turn from him. If your not a Christian, then honestly you don't know what your missing out on: yes it may seem from he outside that we are in  a prison, that we are slaves to God (which we are) but really, you are the slaves to sin. 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11: 28-30. Jesus (God) offers a better type of slavery then sin. As servants of Jesus, we want to obey him, we aren't forced to, and we are thankful because he has freed us from sin. We have a master who wont desert us or leave us and who cares about our well being. I imagine animals at a zoo think we are the ones trapped in a cage, but really, we know that they are the ones trapped. it is a bit similar to non Christians verse Christians. We (Christians) can see that you (non Christians) are trapped, and while it does seem appealing to be sinful, it really isn't worth it. We Christians are free, we don't have to sin, and we have a sure and certain hope of heaven, and the knowledge that God is looking after us and loves us. 1 Corinthians 6:12-20 adresses this a little. 'everything is permissible for me, but not everything is benificial'


Please, Please, Please, if you are not a Christian talk to someone who is, preferably a few people. Don't give up, Turn to God, repent and Believe. Yes, if you want to talk to me then please do: nlm2570@hotmail.com. I will try to be as helpful as possible, and I can tell you of others who you can talk to. This will be the biggest decision of your life: the most important and the most life changing. It will not only govern your life, but your future for all for eternity. Heaven or Hell. It is the hardest thing in some ways that you could do.


Anyway, thanks for reading my second blog: it wasn't really personal or deep or anything, but I think it was a good thing to write and to give you ideas about.


Buy A Wristband :D

1 comment:

  1. WOO! Save the world! I love the way you think!
    I'm gonna buy some more when school goes back... :)
    "Make Poverty History".... New favourite quote of mine... Makes me think of those bands... :)

    ReplyDelete